Tuesday 4 September 2007

Who should partner Fabregas for the Derby?

Arsenal will be without Senderos for their trip up the Seven Sisters Road as a result of his sending off by Halsey against Portsmouth. If you watch the incident again it's clear to see that Toure was level with him and Kanu, who hit the deck far too easily.

The straight red will keep him out for three games and once again I feel that Senderos was hard done by. Anyway, it's all academic now, at least we got the three points on the day. Gilberto filled in very successfully and will have to deputise in Senderos's absence as Gallas is still laid up with a groin injury and Djourou is on loan at Birmingham.

With Gilberto playing at centre back there will be a space for a defensive midfielder to partner Fabregas for the next three games.

So who should partner Fabregas?

Denilson: The young Brazilian has given steady and mature performances in the times I've seen him play this year, but I feel he's more of a Fabregas type player and not really an instinctive defensive midfielder. I have no doubt that he could do a good job as a stand in but I feel his long-term ambitions are more attacking. He is also probably one of the smallest options listed here and I feel he may get out-muslced and out-jumped by bigger and stronger opponents.

Flamini: He reminds me of an ageing Ray Parlour. Full of hustle and bustle, always busy and enthusiastic, but he's not the most technically gifted player in Arsenal's midfield. He's like an annoying wasp at a Sunday picnic, just hanging around and appearing from nowhere just when you think he's disappeared. His performances have been good this year and I feel he has sorted his attitude out and looks up for the fight compared to last season.

Diaby: A lot was said about Diaby when he signed for Arsenal and comparisons were made with Vieira but I think they were premature and somewhat inappropriate. He has recovered from his injury well and looks fit and confident but I just think he is an instinctive defensive midfielder either. I believe the comparisons were made with Vieira because of looks and stature and not playing style or ability.

Diarra: I will be the first to admit that I haven't seen much of Diarra but seem to remember that Wenger wanted him before he went to Chelsea. So Wenger gets his man at last. He is the only direct replacement for Gilberto as he is a defensive midfielder, although he was wasted at right back by Mourinho. Based on reputation he should be pushing Gilberto over the next few seasons, with a view to eventually taking his position.

Song: I'm not one of those fans that booed Song last season as I respect any man or woman who plays for Arsenal but I do feel that he is the weakest of Arsenal's midfielders. I concede that he put in some gutsy and passionate displays for Charlton last season but I just don't think he's technically good enough to start for Arsenal yet. I feel that the arrival of Diarra may have sealed his fate and he may move on in January.

So that's a quick look at the usual suspects.

So who should partner Fabregas?

I'm not sure Song will even make the bench for the North London derby. If he does it will be as cover for centre back, which he can play according to Wenger. I shudder to think...

Denilson will make the bench, but I don't think Wenger would start him. I believe that Denilson and Fabregas are not an ideal combination and if anything the young Brazilian is the young Spaniard's back-up.

Diaby could push for the starting position but I don't know where Wenger thinks his best position is. Perhaps he sees him as cover for both the attacking and defensive positions in the centre of midfield? But Wenger rarely, if ever starts him at defensive midfield.

If this situation was to occur a few months from now I have no doubt that Diarra would play alongside Fabregas. But I feel that Wenger will play Flamini just because he played the first three games of the season there and looked solid. This will only happen if Flamini isn't required to fill in at right back if Sagna doesn't recover from his back injury and Wenger doesn't want to go with Hoyte.

Wenger would be taking a risk giving Diarra his debut in the North London derby, but if he did I wouldn't mind it as long as the young Frenchman knew what he was letting himself in for. This year more than ever, the neighbours from the Seven Sisters Road will be looking for a scalp... literally and figuratively.