Saturday 20 October 2007

Arsenal v. Bolton - My Predictions

Gut Feeling: I try not to be optimistic for the sake of it. I usually curb my enthusiasm for Arsenal when predicitng results in games but I feel as though today should be a comfortable win for the Gunners. With Anelka out for the visitors their scoring threat will be diminshed and I can't see them keeping up with the high tempo passing the young Gunners will have on display.

What Arsenal Need: An early goal will make all the difference. If it's still scoreless after half an hour the crowd will start to get disgruntled and Bolton will gain in confidence. Bolton will come out all fired up and I just hope that no-one gets caught by any silly tackles from the visitors. We don't need any more injuries.

The Gunners need to take a better percentage of their chances in front of goal. If they can take one chance in three or even one in four they'll average three or four goals a game because the statistics show they create ten or twelve chances a game.

Things To Watch Out For: I'll be watching Gallas closely throughout the match because I don't think we've seen the best of him in a red shirt and hopefully there's more to come from him. I'm still not sure if the partnership between him and Toure is as good as everyone presumes. I like one mobile, dynamic centre back paired with a more robust 'big-man' and I feel as though Toure and Gallas are too similar, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing Djourou play for the Gunners again in January.

Hopes For The Match: I hope Eduardo has a good game as I really like him. Without wishing to jinx him, I feel like he's the elusive 'fox-in-the-box' Wenger has been looking for since Pires left. Before you say Pires was no 'fox-in-the-box' stick the Invincibles DVD in and see how many goals he scores from 6 yards out. Eduardo should have an extended run in the team as a result of the injury to poor van Persie, who looked like scoring 25 goals this season. We all wish him a speedy recovery, but Eduardo should be looking to establish himself as a credible contender for a starting spot up front.

I also hope to see Bendtner get 20 minutes at the end of the match. I know he's moody and thinks he's the best striker in the world, but that hasn't hurt previous Arsenal goal-scoring legends has it? The reason I want him to perform is that Arsenal needs four established strikers that can be used throughout the season not just three and some kids you can stick on in an emergency.

Team Selection: I agree with Wenger to leave Almunia in goal and although I'll never forgive him for letting that goal in during the Champions League final he has done well so far this season. The fact that Wenger has left Lehmann out of the squad altogether doesn't bode well for the German.

Clichy and Toure have been ever present this year as has Sagna but his performance against Sunderland was poor and mnay are blaming the 'Sampson Curse' as he'd got rid of the blonde and gone bald. He needs another good performance today or he'll feel Eboue breathing down his neck.

In the midfield Diaby will probably continue on the left, a role for him I find hard to jusitfy. I accept that as a technically gifted player he could well play anywhere in the team but I feel like it's too much of a 'square peg in a round hole syndrome'. I just don't feel he fits there. Flamini and Cesc have become the pairing of choice in the middle and Hleb will continue to forge his partnership with Sagna on the right.

Up front we'll see Adebayor team up with Eduardo, who replaces the passionate van Persie. I'll miss watching the Dutchman play because I feel like he treats every match like it's his last and doesn't rest on his laurels. Lets hope Eduardo can pull something out of the bag today and get on the scoresheet.

My team selection for this game:

Eduardo, Adebayor



Diaby, Flamini, Fabregas, Hleb



Clichy, Gallas, Toure, Sagna



Almunia


Subs: Fabianski, Denilson, Diarra, Rosicky, Bendtner


Unavailable: Lehmann (rested?), van Persie (knee), Senderos (back)

Other issues: Good news from the AGM on Thursday with regards a new long term lock-down agreement announced that could last up to 2012. Arsenal.com has a detailed transcription of the agreement if you want to know more.

Prediction: Arsenal 3 Bolton 0