Thursday 14 August 2008

Job Done, Poor Performance

Gut Feeling: Prior to the match I thought we'd maintain 60% of possession, with neat intricate passing but no real end result. I expected Arsenal to create and then miss a bus load of chances and eek out a one nil win.

What transpired: Well we did eek out a win, but our passing and tempo were way below par and for the majority of the match we were outplayed. They didn't link well through midfield and it seemed like we passed the ball back to Almunia more often than necessary.

What Arsenal Needed: Arsenal needed a win and not to concede, which is what occured but they also needed a good performance. They got the job done but I was disappointed with the performance. I don't recall any moments of skill or determination that got me out of my seat. There was no spark.

Things To Watch Out For in the Next Few Games: With Diaby out for a month, I think he'll miss his chance to cement the DM position. Just like last year when Gilberto was injured and lost out to Flamini, but I've got no idea who could step up and make the position their own. In my opinion its not just about finding a player with the performance to match Flamini, but replacing his personality and passion on the pitch. I don't recall one game last year where he didn't run himself ragged, regardless of Arsenal's team performance. To be honest, this is my greatest concern for the upcoming season.

Hopes For The Rest of the Transfer Window: Obviously Arsenal need a high energy, sharp tackling, tireless defensive midfielder to replace Flamini. I cannot see this replacement coming from within the current squad.

Most Gooners would agree that Wenger also needs to buy an old-school Keown-style defender. We need to strengthen up against long balls that would have been bread and butter with the likes of Campbell, Adams and Keown in the side.

To be honest, I'd be happy for Wenger to make one or two Harry Redknap type purchases. You know what I mean, some free-agent, twilight of their career players, who can give us leadership and experience. Look how influential Bergkamp was in his last few years at Arsenal.

Team Selection: Basically Wenger had almost no real choices to make with team selection. The back five chose themsleves, with Djourou the only senior replacement available to cover for Toure. I'm pretty sure no Gooners argued with his choice for the back five. It was a no brainer.

The real issues were in midfield. I'd argue that Arsenal's four first choice midfielders were unavailable last night so Wenger had to play a Carling Cup midfield. And I'm afraid it showed too.

Up front was the only place where the first choice players were available. Saying that they looked tired and rusty.

Team selection for this game:

van Persie, Adebayor



Walcott, Denilson, Ramsay, Eboue



Clichy, Gallas, Djourou, Sagna



Almunia


Subs: Fabianski, Hoyte, Gibbs, Randall, Wilshere, Vela, Bendtner


Unavailable: Rosicky, Eduardo, Fabregas, Diaby, Toure, Senderos, Nasri

Result: FC Twente 0 Arsenal 2