Saturday 22 September 2007

Arsenal v. Derby - My Predictions

Gut Feeling: Usually, my gut feelings about matches are quite sensible. I rarely predict that the Gunners will deliver an exemplary display which allows them to walk off the pitch after 90 minutes with a three, four or five goal win. But today I feel as though they may net a hatful of goals.

I think this match will have been one that Wenger earmarked as a chance to rotate, but with the Carling Cup match against Newcastle in the week he may rotate less than many would assume. The majority of the changes made to the starting personnel will have been enforced by injury to key players.

What Arsenal Need: The basic needs are obvious. Wenger needs the three points and no new injuries but I see the 'need' in this match to be more of a personal thing for some of the players. A number of the squad will get to play today and they will need good performances as their playing time may have been limited up to now. The players I have in mind are Walcott and Eduardo and I hope they both get a chance to play the whole match today.

Things To Watch Out For: I'm watching for big performances from Walcott and Eduardo, both of whom should retain their place in the team for the midweek game. Walcott has shown glimpses of quality but needs to produce it for a whole match and Eduardo keeps scoring goals with limited playing time so hopefully he can net a few today. For me, Eduardo is the first "fox in the box" Arsenal have had since Pires and the more I see him play the more I like him.

If Wenger goes with his best four defenders, they should be able to control things at the back quite comfortably and I'm looking for them to keep a clean sheet today.

Hopes For The Match: If Arsenal are ruthless in front of goal they could score a few goals today. Eventhough there will be some changes to the starting eleven they are bound to create five good chances in each half and if they take just half of them things could get ugly for the visitors. Derby will park the proverbial bus in front of the goal but the Gunners are technically and physically superior so a comfortable win is on the cards.

Team Selection: Logic would suggest that Eduardo will get a start today especially, with van Persie looking a little less sharp than usual and a pairing of Adebayor and Eduardo looks more appropriate to me than van Persie and Eduardo.

With Rosicky out injured the left wing position is up for grabs and I hope that Wenger doesn't choose to play Diaby there. I like him as a central midfielder but I cringe every time I see him play left wing, it reminds me of watching Emile Heskey play the same role for England. Diaby is an excellent young talent, don't get me wrong, but he's not a left winger and I feel sorry for him whenever Wenger plays him there.

I would play Walcott on the right wing today and play the ultimate squad player Flamini on the left wing. The Frenchman's heroics at left back in the Champions League run to Paris showed us he can operate on the left side and his versatility really is a bonus for Arsenal. If anything today's list of unavailable players shows us that Arsenal have no depth on the wings.

I believe Fabregas will start today but I think Wenger will give Gilberto the day off so Diaby could partner the young Spaniard in midfield.

I don't see Wenger making many changes in defence partly because he has little room for manoeuver with the injuries to Gallas and Eboue.

My team selection for this game:

Adebayor, Eduardo



Flamini, Diaby, Fabregas, Walcott



Clichy, Senderos, Toure, Sagna



Almunia


Subs: Fabianski, Denilson, Diarra, Hoyte, van Persie


Unavailable: Lehmann (Elbow), Gallas (groin); Eboue (ankle); Hleb (knee); Rosicky (hamstring).

Long-term issues: Arsenal's young guns will be on display for the midweek Carling Cup match and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live. They promised so much in this competition last season and I hope they can show the same quality this season. I'm looking forward to watching Bendtner and Traore in particular.

Prediction: Arsenal 4 Derby County 0